You’ve got to love Salad Nicoise and if you go with the old school ‘no potato’ approach it’s naturally low carb. I also recommend making an extra garlic-y, herby dressing and using half of it to marinade the tuna for a couple of hours in the fridge if you can.
- 4 tablespoons of Balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of red wine vinegar.
- 1 a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. freshly snipped chives
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
Shake it all up…
- Two 100g tuna steaks
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50-60g French beans, boiled for 3 minutes and drained
- 2 little gem lettuce hearts – with the larger leaves ripped up
- Half a red onion, finely sliced
- 2 eggs. Boil them for about 6 minutes so they’re still just a little soft (unless you like them hard!) halved
- 6 anchovy fillets cut into long thin slices
- A few pitted black olives
- A handful of basil leaves, torn up
Marinade your tuna steaks in the fridge for up to two hours, giving them a turn every now and again. Grill your tuna steaks on a hot griddle pan for 3 or four minutes a side.
In a salad bowl, toss together the lettuce, onion, tomatoes and beans in the virtually all the remainder of the dressing but not quite. Flake the tuna and lay it over the top. Add wedges of egg (cut longways into quarters), olives and anchovy fillets. Sprinkle torn up basil leaves over the top. Add a final drizzle of dressing.