Assiette de Fruit de Mer (Seafood Special)
The fishy version of the meat plate in other words. I’m not talking about a half a lobster and a dozen oysters here – although by all means go for it. But this is just a delicious selection of fish and shell-fish that is easily available from your local supermarket. Again, simply arrange a selection of the following on a serving plate:
- Prawns/shrimp – as big as you like
- Mussels – often sold cooked as mussel meat. If you have fresh ones then simply boil them for a minute until they open, then remove and allow to cool.
- Grilled calamari (M&S Chargrilled Calamari Rings, for example). Not the battered deep fried ones!
- Cockles – remember these – you can buy them jarred in vinegar. Rinse off the vinegar if it’s too strong.
- Crab meat – dark or white
- Poached salmon
- Smoked / peppered mackerel
Garnish your plate with:
- Fresh parsley
- Mignonette (red-wine vinegar, shallot and tarragon)
- Penrose mayonnaise